The Insane Waiter

Running wild on customers, chefs, owners and managers since 1997. I bring to you, The Insane Waiter. What do bring to your table? A crisp bottle of San Pellegrino ? Perhaps a lovely seared Sashimi Tuna? Start off with a wonderful bottle from Tuscany perhaps? Why I'll be more than happy to bring you your White Zinfandel and Chicken Caesar. No you can't order the mac and cheese off the kids menu and sorry no, we don't serve cheese sticks....

Monday, September 29, 2008

Waiter Rant the show

Congrats to Steve at Waiter Rant for having his book optioned as a show.

Even though the service industry is a HUGE employer nationwide, the media has kept us much in the background.

Where we generally are kept anyways. However besides Cheers or a few sub par movies like Waiting there hasn't been much to say.

At work to shoot the shit sometimes we have talked about a TV comedy taking place in the restaurant. Certainly every restaurant has its drama, its romances and naturally its characters.

I hope they get it right and let Steve have his creativity get invloved and not have some over-produced glossy mess.

Myself, I'd see it as one part Clerks and one part The Office, if I had to give expectations.

Waiting tried to be the Clerks of the restaurant world, and but for a few moments, failed largely.

Flipping around the networks it is hard to find an actually well written, funny show. Most try to follow the Friends trend or to pick up former stars and put them in an unrecognizable situation.

Sure I like Barney on How I Met Your Mother, but without him the show would be crap.

I hope Waiter Rant the show would be something unconventional, just like The Office is funny because it is something most people can relate to, so could Waiter Rant.

I mean how many people have put time in during college at a bar or restaurant, how many have as a second job? Tens upon tens of millions.

We all can relate to an egotistical chef, clueless manager, manager with the heart of gold, shady waiter, wisecracking bartender.

Every restaurant has their own characters, so did Waiter Rant the book and I'd like to see a good translation to the screen.

Once again congrats Steve!

7 Comments:

At 4:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend looking for Corner Gas.

 
At 9:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I audition for a role as the banquet manager?
So You Want To Be a Banquet Manager

 
At 3:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

^^^ Fuck off already with the Banquet Manager bullshit. Everytime I see that blog, it reminds me of everything I hated in my restaurant bosses while I was serving.

...

Anyhoo. In regards to the post. Crazy that Waiterrant will (hopefully) be a TV show. But, re: Waiting... it wasn't that bad. I thought the damn thing was hilarious for what it was.

 
At 12:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you not see the Kitchen Confidential series? (Not Bourdain's show, but the sitcom). Check it on on Netflix.

 
At 11:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, peewee, but Kitchen Confidential was very short-lived.

And other characters on How I Met Your Mother are funny! Even on the less than great episode last week (Best Burger in New York), Robin standing in the background licking an envelope because she was so hungry was the funniest moment of the night.

Oh, and I hope that Corner Gas suggestion was sarcastic. That show is all kinds of shit.

 
At 1:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I totally had this idea for a show for a while now! It would be the same format as The Office but it would be about restaurant service industry. I even wrote a extraordinarily rough draft of a pilot.

Oh well. I guess this is what happens when you don't have any connections in Hollywood. I'll just have to see how this turns out. It'll probably be better than mine.

Congrats Steve the Waiter! My apron's off to you!

 
At 9:26 AM , Blogger keanes said...

so the waiters' name is steve? it is funny that all of us servers are related in commiseration and our honest understanding of the amount of bullshit we endure universally on a daily basis. i personally feel like EVERYONE should work in the service industry just one time. (but like your next blog, even servers are shit customers-that bitch is just bitter. she prob gets even less respect than she showed you at her job. karma will get her) anyways. i'd watch the show.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home